Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Tue, June 20, 2000 at 5:55 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .om

WorldThoughts writes

>Maybe I should call her and ask her, "But what if you lose your feet?!<

I was sad I had no shoes till I met a man who had no feet. So I stole his shoes and ran away with them.

You seem to think I'm repeating a mantra about .web, painting a negative scenario. What I'm doing is responding to some of the unrealistically positive (as well as sometimes misleading or downright false) .web posts.

The people who will make the decision regarding new domains are probably well aware of .web's history, and well aware that some people have invested money in .web names. Posting that information here, after the first or tenth time, is redundant, I don't think it helps your cause either with ICANN or with those like me who have no particular interest either way (though I've redundantly said that I support the inclusion of .web and its database).

An overly suspicious person might think that this is just an attempt to advertise .web names, which isn't the purpose of this forum. Now we have people hustling ccTLD code names, which isn't helpful either.

I'm a little suspicious of people whose business plan seems to be to wait for the possible inclusion of their pre-bought .web domain so that they can launch an internet business. In case you haven't noticed, the first golden age of the net seems to be setting.

Those with a real intent to set up a site can do so with existing names, the fact that they don't implies to me that their business plan is to resell the names. There's nothing legally (or, to me, morally) wrong about that, but I don't think ICANN will see that as a valid reason for including .web. Because it wouldn't release as many new and non-prebought names to the public as some other new domain, one could say it actually works against you.

Hmmm, not that oil-rich Oman needs it, but they're missing an opportunity marketing to meditators and mantrists everywhere.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy