Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Nestor DR
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 10:06 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: MONEY WOULD GO TO ICANN TO GIVE ACCESS TO THE MASSES

Would the idead that the money could go to ICANN for the advancement and effective oversight of the Internet be appealing to you?

I see that ICANN has a delegated authority by U.S. and some global instutions, making it the likely body to administer the funds and re-distribute them in a fiscally transparent manner.  To charge ICANN to manage the Interenet Names and Numbers business is no small fiat.  This operation should be self-sustaining, forward-thinking and enabling for those who would otherwise not have access to the internet.  It's almost like a universal-phone line concept.  The resources available to ICANN can, in turn, be appropriated according to the consensus-driven/democratic processes of its membership, including the Membership At Large, and its elected representatives.  I just see good potential in the issues that you raise. That is, potential for finding solutions should ICANN decide to tackle them.  Other alternatives may extist as to who keeps/administers the funds, but aren't we trying to avoid fragmentation -- at least in the core administrative sense -- and to encourage integration, efficiency and effectiveness? ICANN has precedent, ligitimacy and the potential of becoming not just an unfunded goodwill organization, ICANN can actually become the brainchild for a true INTER-NATIONAL Organizaton (as Sotiris puts it).

The issue of trademarks is not incompatible with the idea proposed here.  Trademaks are no less restrictive or more restrictive under a "use friendly, global directory" approach. Conventions and memoranda of understanding among nation-states and interested parties is something that may be worked-out. If content drives a trademark, then the whole idea of trademarks would less pressing in that self-similar contents are already in existance, yet poeple/organizations are not yet bumping against each other.  I would think that some merit exists in pursuing trademark solutions, first locally at the ccTLD, then regioanally, and lastly globally.  To try to do it all at once may be unproductive.  Conventions among the stakeholders and key players may harbor the type of dynamics to collectively and collaboratively seek solutions to these valid issues that you raise, but which are not insurmountable. The basic structure to find solutions to these issues, and others which may arise, in fleshing out the proposed "user-frindly, global directory" is already in place and, in my opinion, it resides with ICANN.

Very Truly Yours,
Nestor Requeno      
Los Angeles, California USA   

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy