Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Sotiris
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 3:51 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Well stated.

I would agree completely that trademark resolution should begin within a schema of national ccTLD registry.  Once the legislative mechanisms of the various states with national registries have decided upon the course of their own individual trademark issues (i.e. content or mark driven etc...)in their respective namespace roots, a global consensus can then be sought either through existing international conventions or new agreements. All things being equal, generally acceptable processes would probably prevail on a global scale if each national legislative body applied its own standards in dealing with namespace.  That is, given that the citizenry (at least those with some inkling of what is at stake) within each nation, are actively notified and duly participate in the development of policy.

But, I also recognize the legitimacy of concerns that trademark in the conventional (nay, traditional) sense presents many problematic situations when applied to the Internet. These concerns represent important considerations, which however are not truly a part of the ICANN mandate as I understand their purpose.  Hence, the trademark issue, although an important one (maybe even the most important)really has no place in ICANN activities.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy