Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jefsey
Date/Time: Sat, July 8, 2000 at 11:49 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: why not 256+ long domain names

This type of proposition is quite interesting but will wind up with URL of 256 characters, or more.

The problem on the net is not adressing but access. Adresses are here just to help a simple and quick acess. Yellow pages are great, but for me the great thing with Minitel first and now the Internet is to get rid of the Yellow Pages.

When I want to get informations on "Ford" I do not open the Yellow pages, do not look for "cars", do not look for my "city", do not note the telephone number and do not call. I enter "http://ford.com" and I hope it works and the webmaster knows Apache enough so I do not need to enter "www".

So I am NOT interested per se in the Yellow Page old solution. Yellow Page solution is one attempt to match real life, it is interesting only as an important past experience. I am intersted in real life and how the net can match it with its own solutions. One plus of the net is the possibility to target the same page with several URLs. This is probably the future : the semantic variations of the URL, through several domain names today and in the future through innovative solutions. The Direct Names or the Access Engine are steps towards that aim.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy