Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: JY
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 2:09 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Disagree

Looking at the .web registration records on iodesign captures the essence of the entire debate. About ten different individuals have registered 70% of the .web domains. (Marc Britton for one) Since you state that you represent a number of these individuals it seems logical that you'd want .web approved. Therefore it follows that you would suggest a registrar be approved based on the length of time they have been taking registrations. I have an opposite view. I feel the only fair way to introduce a new gTLD is to make clean the slate, make a public announcement and have some sort of infrastructure in place that would assure one name per customer (ip address) per day. That way our vote wouldn't merely be facilitating your interest but allowing the true intent of further tld's - access to valuable top level domains for those who have been shut out.

The problem with databases that date back four years is that their approval immediately creates the same problem we face with .com's right now. Imagine the public outrage when .web is announced and the quick realization that no one can get the name they want? (Compounded when they realize that so few individuals have ownership of so many)We, as members of icann are aware of such databses and registrars, the majority of the public is not. I for one would be outraged if this were to happen and worse, we'd be right back to square one. Surely what you propose is not a solution - merely a self serving proposition.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy