Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jeffmarsh
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:03 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Your "scenario" is not logical

Jefsey,

Your scenario is completely illogical and your reasoning is the most fallacious I have observed in this forum (which has already seen a great deal of fallacious arguments). In fact, your scenario is the perfect example of the "Slippery Slope" fallacy (which FYI, is when one objects to a particular action on the grounds that it will lead to other, less desireable actions). It was a humorous read though. Thanks for the laughs.

I've seen a lot of talk here about scripts that will allow "cybersquatters" to register all the generic domains within minutes. In jefsy's "scenario", registrations are accepted by email and everybody emails their registrations to all the registrars at the same time. Obviously, if the registry system doesn't accept registrations by email, this problem has been instantly eliminated. In fact, very few registrars today accept automated registrations by email for .com, .net, and .org domains. NSI previously allowed email registrations, however access to this ability is now restricted to companies who are members of an NSI Business program.  There are a handful of domain speculators that seem to always get the good domains when they expire, and yes they do have scripts that HELP them, however I know from experience that these people also get "inside" information from people who have full access to the registry.  The scripts that they use are not widely available for obvious reasons, and these scripts have been developed because the programmer ALREADY KNEW the structure of the registry.  With new gTLDs, the structure and inner workings of the registry should not be released prior to the first day of registration.  If this is done, there won't be any scripts capable of automatically registering generic names because the script programmers will not know the registry details needed to write the scripts.  As a professional programmer (and domain speculator) with experience developing commercial Perl, C, VBScript, and ColdFusion applications for the Internet, I can say that I have the experience necessary to put this ridiculous myth to rest.

Jeff

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy