Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jefsey
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 3:38 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: it is time to enter the brave new internet world!

I am quite concerned about the comments received to by humoristic message.

-  most of your critics actually darken the picture if you think seriously about them.

-  while we are supposed to be people sharing into a serious decision process and faced to real life facts involving millions of people, huge amounts of money, international policy and laws and the future of the web, the discussions boils down to sentimental reaction about US law and the web, feasibility of forms, and irrealistic regulation hopes.

BTW my point is that we have to change the concept of domain names allocation (cf. the ".sys" gTLD proposition). But let come back to this simulation.

1. I accounted for round 10.000 people through the world able to register a domain name using a mail form. I think it understimated from your very own comments. I estimated to several million people filling a form on one or serveal registrar's sites for one or several domain name. I expect it to be understimated as the "BigBingo" comes in. The first worldwide relatime lottery.

Every radio station, WebTV and network will have their Y2K+1 BigBingo Show with hackers from all the world ready to participate under CNN live coverage. Be realistic. We are in the 21st century. Everyone will want to see internet collapsing and to share in it. Would you not? Plenty of companies will reward the first registrants, smart one will propose you $10.000 if you get the DN they look for (far cheaper than buying it from a cybesquetter).

Pokemon will be a joke compared to that!

NB. The actual point was only that some people will use a mail form, some will use a web form. This is an element which will be used in courts to show discrimination.

2. I did not account for people messing inside. You say they do exist. Add them into the fun. The major point is that if they do exist as you say, suspected registrars under police investigation will have to freeze operations. How sill their ohter DNs been registered in the meanwile?

3. some devised security schemes about secrecy until the last minute. In which world to you live? We are in democracy, we want to be in democracy. Before any procedure can be started it has to be debated, approved, validated, plainly documented. Otherwise some people would be more equal than others. Others say that there should be a special procedure for that day. How irrealistic! On which legal grounds? It would be double specifications, double testing, double problem possibility. But moe than anything else it would a be great for legal actions: "why would these DN be specially handled? From which number of DNs would we switch to standard operations? etc..."

To the countrary, the only response is to have everthing, every registrar, every ISP making available information on their operations, speed, processing capacity, etc..

Look; I use a very large public provider entering the stock exchange. Very often I cannot send my mails, and mails may take upto 22/26 hours to reach me. If I cannot obtain a domain name because of them I will let it known. If they explain their problem before, they get bad on the exchange. If I tell it afterward, it will be worse for them.
Since I explained this scenario, I have a large company having already decided to have a notary to record what they will do, when, etc... so they may warn the ISP and ask them compensation if they do not succeed because of their poor quality service.

4. You say that only some registrars would be allowed to register ".shop". According which rules. How many legal actions would be undertaken against that loss of money by registrars. Look at today real life to see how it works. Just consider the AfterNic case. You would have 100 of them if you did that.

But mainly, no one discussed the main points.

There will be winners and winners will be considered by 90% of the people as cheaters. There will be losers and they will get public attention and support when sueing winners. There sill be rummours, investigations, reports saying the world spermatozoid race was unfair registrants being inequal in front of language, line throughput, commercial demeanor, registrars capacity, central system operations, etc... Be sure lawyers form all over the world will find good reasons to make money and that many companies will support them. The reason being that while a ".shop" domain name is frozen by a dispute, it cannot be used against its ".com" counter part.

Now the economics.

I do not care about who is right or wrong. If it is needed or not. Who will win at the end of the day. The economics are not there.

Let assume that 1000 domain names succeed in being registered on the "BigBingoDay" (the systems will probably not accept that much, spending their time saying it is registered). This means a $6000 operation for the NSI. Most of the registrars will discount down to $10 for the first day. So global revenue around $15000.

Connexions round the world during the two or three hours of the "BigBingoDoom" for millions of peole will represent probably $M 50 to 200. Advertzing about internet companies, services (in ".com", telecom, alternative, etc...) during that "internet hours" on TV networks round the world will represent probably more than M$ 300.

Rights sold by NSI, registrars etc. to watch the operation live and consltants from everywhere to talk about the phenomena will probably amount to M$ 100.

Merchandising about the "BinBingo" may be important since many people are interested in making the others excited about it or getting a free adviertizing from it. A world event, without any commity. Like the Olympic Games without official sponsors.

Now the film industry. Plenty of "high tech stories" will show up on screens. Explaining you how people cheated a domain namen of protected one. Millions of dollars there. The about internationa police cooperation against people having done it. Then internet industrial empires shaken down by secretaires working for lawayers and showing that they used hakerkids to steal their "grocer.shop" domain name from papywebs. Millions. Oscars.

Now games

If we plan having several gTLDs, the same story will come again. Obviously less exciting the next time, like landing on the moon. But media people will get ideas. Games: "win a TLD", "pay your studies in getting a DN in a new TLD".

Now politics.

With such a public knowledge of the issue, there will be politician all over the world with ideas about TLDs, international relations, ontrol on intenet, ICANN inadequacy, US monopoly, etc.. etc..

etc.. etc..

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy