Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 4:56 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: however

jeffmarsh writes

>First, the registration forms should not be accessible prior to the opening of registrations.<

Agreed. Though it would be a mess if the pages contain errors.

>That way, the script writers won't be able to see the structure of the registration forms before registration begins.<

Agreed. Though they could make educated guesses about field labels which are required of all registrants, and their probable order, eg: city before state.

>It will then take them at least some time to program the script after registration begins. By that time, the best generic domains would have already been registered.<

I know some coder kids who are blindingly fast.

>Form 1 passes information to Form 2, and so on.  Form 2 can check the referrer to see what page submitted information to it.  If the referrer is not equal to Form 1 on the registrar's server, the submission will be blocked.<

I'd thought of that, and I'm not convinced that coders couldn't mimic the referring page. And this still leaves the problem of whether it is legal to block scripts. SFAIK it isn't illegal to run them per se.

Regardless of whether it is scripts or humans, I expect registrars to get absolutely hammered on day one.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy