Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jestiny
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 6:51 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: The Rush

First, I am little upset that JeffMarsh proclaimed jefsey as having the most fallacious arguments on this thread.  I thought I held this distinction.  Clearly, this is something I'll need to pursue a trademark on.

While I do believe that some registrars will get hammered on day one, I doubt that the rather extreme and absurd scenario Jefesy writes of where there is a TOTAL AWARENESS by EVERYBODY of the domain lottery is something that will really occur. Generally, invaluable opportunities like those available in our domain system tend to come from a different angle that most people are expecting or comes from a contender that isn't fully appreciated before it is painfully obvious ( and late) .

There are indications already that the Generic TLD's that have the most appeal have already been "mined" of a modest proportion of the 6 figure names.  (Not that I like to place domains' value in monetary terms)

#1 Whether IOD has a trademark/service mark or not on .WEB, their argument for handling the registry functions for that TLD are pretty darn compelling. Despite, ICANN's history, I have a difficult time seeing them just disregarding IOD's claims and their very substantial history of handling .web registrations for people in 75 countries. Especially, given the attention .WEB is receiving and the negative press ICANN will surely receive if the brazenly disregard a net pioneer like IOD.  I will wager that IOD will end up with primary responsibilities for .WEB, and I would also bet hundreds (or thousands ) of pre-registered domains will stand.  Although there are HUNDREDS of thousands of great names left, people will run quick checks on the registry and see that the top 500 domains or so are probably gone. So, there may still be a rush, but it won't be quite the same with business.web, travel.web and other dreamy domains not available.

#2  The .TV domain is undoubtably the sneaky "under the radar" newcomer that net veterans like many on this board probably scorn because of its pricing, the registration agreement, and its ccTLD origin.  However, it makes for a great name, and it has GREAT backers, and the biggee: the market appears to be currently ACCEPTING it. So, the .TV TLD, which could come to represent the "RICH MEDIA" Internet (like DOT TV says) may become much bigger than most people expect.  Especially for media driven web sites. And the landgrab is  happening right NOW there

In my view this leaves GTLD's like .BIZ. .SHOP, and maybe .LTD??? .BIZ is pretty darn good and has potential. .SHOP is overrated (comes more across as a NOUN than a VERB) and .LTD which.. SUCKS  (from a marketing perspective .. way too dry and corporate)

Great TLD's are SHORT,(FYI) something that even Mr. Ambler of IOD didn't seem to understand which I will gladly explain later.

Anyway, this leaves a whole slew of (oft-long) category specific TLD's like .Travel, .Museum, . that only will yield 20-100 really great names. For .TRAVEL, for example,  I can see:

usa.travel
vacations.travel (hmm pretty long)
cheap.travel
air.travel
my.travel
caribbean.travel
overseas.travel

and a bunch more for frequently traveled
cities and countries. That's about it. Not thousands of
great names, just a hundred or so.

Obviously, this is conjecture, but in NO WAY improbable. I stand by
my statements since day one that .WEB is far and away the best TLD choice and .TV has substantial potential and is currently sneaking up behind this process which (judging by the TOTAL lack of consensus on this thread) could be prolonged past November. This will only give .TV more time to establish itself.

Jestiny

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy