Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: bigtymer
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 4:58 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Great analogies, but...

I love your analogies, but you're missing one key point...

IOD has never had the legal authority to give out .web domains. I could sell land on the Moon if I wanted to, and you could buy Moon land from me, but since I don't own the Moon you really wouldn't own anything. Maybe you would buy the pieces from me in the hopes that one day I have the authority to sell land on the Moon, but it is nothing more than hope and a risk.

The same situation exists here. The laws are clear and you can speak to your own lawyer about this. ICANN was formed as a new entity to take over the duties previously assigned to IANA, a now defunct agency. In doing so, ICANN has no legal obligation or responsibility to respect any agreements IANA made (furthermore, as if that isn't enough, IOD has yet, to my knowledge, even brought forward so much as a signed contract between them and IANA). So therefore, IOD does not have the official, legal authority to hand out legal, official .web addresses. The preregistrations are nothing more than a statment from IOD stating that "we hope to be able to enter this into the root server for you, but we can make no guarantees that this will happen."

The final decision of whether or not to enter IOD preregistrations into the root lies with ICANN. ICANN can do it, or ICANN can choose not to do it. Whatever the decision, ICANN will be doing what it has the legal right to do. If they enter them, you will have been rewarded for your risk. If they do not enter them, your risk will not pay off. Either way, legally - IOD .web preregistrations are NOT guaranteed, official .web properties.

Can't say it any clearer than that. Don't want to believe it, go ask your lawyers folks.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy