Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 5:37 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: In Court

The last time we took it to court, we dismissed it before those claims came up. The judge believed the IAHC line that they controlled the Internet, and if they weren't allowed to proceed, the Internet would come to a halt. Had the case continued, that misinformation would have been corrected. But that's a "might have been." We dismissed the case due to the USG involvement. Now that we've made it public, the record shows that the USG involvement came in no small part because of our case and our urgings.

As for the recent ruling, I couldn't be happier. What it said is that NOBODY can hold trademark rights in top-level domains. Isn't that what you wanted? (Yes, I know who you are, and I'm sure you realize this). Now NOBODY can come forward and claim that they get a TLD because they "own" it. Indeed, even .IBM and .ATT aren't protected at this point. Imagine that!

So it boils down to first use, if you care to make a legal argument.

Hopefully it's moot, and ICANN will judge applicants on the merits of what they've done, the experience they can demonstrate, and objective technical criteria.

Isn't that also what you wanted?

Christopher Ambler
Image Online Design, Inc.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy