Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jeffrey
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 9:16 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: What to do with Afilias

I would agree that Neustar should be totally out of the picture.  ICANN is now in a real pickle with their latest TLD reviews.  How can they get out of it?  Although, I suspect ICANN will be wishing they hadn't released such a biased initial review of the proposals, now the board members have to contend with what they've done. This time, they have to do it in the open. What would the repercussions of not giving Afilias any TLD be?  After such a glowing initial review, a very bad lawsuit to be sure (perhaps filed by Ken Stubbs!-oh what irony).  What if they give .web to Afilias---an even bigger lawsuit (filed by any number of parties, including IOD).  So from a practical perspective, ICANN should probably ask for indemnification from both Afilias and IOD and try to negotiate a compromise, such as info to Afilias and web to IOD. How else can you get these TLDs on line in a timely manner and save face? I'm sure that the ICANN board has a few unsavory characters that would like to see their own interests served, but not all of them. Some of them will genuinely want to do the right thing and preserve their own integrity. That's just the way it is. If it doesn't end this way, then watch out because we'll all be losers.  The law suits will cost us all a bundle and only stifle internet development.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy