ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Draft permanent RT endorsement process

  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Draft permanent RT endorsement process
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:47:30 +0200

Hi

Unless someone can think of something else missing or ambiguous, there are four
things to decide and we can send this off to Council, tomorrow or Friday latest.

On May 26, 2010, at 4:04 PM, tim@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Looks good except two concerns. I think 10 hrs per week will be better
> understood than some cumulative number of days. We might want to mention the
> possibility of F2F meetings.

Agree

> I also think it should include some deadline to the SGs to deliver their
> endorsements.

Agree.  "ASAP" is too loose and someone will come back demanding to know more
precisely, or will move too slow and think it's ok, etc.  The point is, don't
we want to move it along and ideally have consideration at the next possible
council call ( ICANN's call deadline might make it impossible to do the very
next, so we skip one and finalize three weeks after)?  If so I'd bound the
time.  If a week's too short for some SGs, how about ten days?

Carolyn asked about the gender split.  I advocated the original language but
various people raised concerns, and the AT pool was probably indicative of what
we could expect going forward.  Plus, in the event Council puts forward 4
names, saying at least 1/3rd means in effect we're requiring two of each,
probably too much to hope for.  So we could end up having to fire up the
diversity mechanism often.  Just saying not all the same is pretty lame but it
avoids all that and may lower blood pressures (although not in NCSG, colleagues
will ask me...).  So: revert to original or stay with this?  I'll roll with
whichever.

Another goof on my part, in additional requirements I added the line about
specialized expertise people wanted (given security/stability etc) without
seeing it's too close to the prior line about if you're not in the GNSO tell us
your expertise.  So what do we really want to ask in the bracketed element
below? 7 is about knowledge of/engagement in GNSO or equivalent, 8 is on
specialized expertise relevant to the RT.  Keep them separate or merge the
points somehow?

7. A two to three paragraph statement about the applicant’s knowledge of the
GNSO community and its structure and operations, and any details of his/her
participation therein or, in the event that an applicant has not been involved
in the GNSO community, a two to three paragraph description of [his/her
qualifications that would be of relevance to the applicable RT;]
8. A one paragraph statement outlining the specialized technical or other
[expertise they possess that would allow them to fully and effectively
contribute to the work of the RT on which they wish to serve.]

Thanks,

Bill

PS: Oh, and I see on the edits that someone named Verisign reminded me there's
no ICANN "secretariat."  Oops, you can see where I spend my time...:-(