ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Draft permanent RT endorsement process

  • To: "William Drake" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Draft permanent RT endorsement process
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:13:12 -0400

Please see my comments below.

Chuck

[Gomes, Chuck] I also agree and suggest we say something like "It is estimated
that an average of 10 hours per week will be required in addition to F2F
meetings."

> > I also think it should include some deadline to the SGs to deliver
> their endorsements.
>
> Agree.  "ASAP" is too loose and someone will come back demanding to
> know more precisely, or will move too slow and think it's ok, etc.  The
> point is, don't we want to move it along and ideally have consideration
> at the next possible council call ( ICANN's call deadline might make it
> impossible to do the very next, so we skip one and finalize three weeks
> after)?  If so I'd bound the time.  If a week's too short for some SGs,
> how about ten days?
[Gomes, Chuck] How about "As soon as possible but not later than 30 days"?

> Carolyn asked about the gender split.  I advocated the original
> language but various people raised concerns, and the AT pool was
> probably indicative of what we could expect going forward.  Plus, in
> the event Council puts forward 4 names, saying at least 1/3rd means in
> effect we're requiring two of each, probably too much to hope for.  So
> we could end up having to fire up the diversity mechanism often.  Just
> saying not all the same is pretty lame but it avoids all that and may
> lower blood pressures (although not in NCSG, colleagues will ask
> me...).  So: revert to original or stay with this?  I'll roll with
> whichever.
[Gomes, Chuck] I don't think 1/3 works if we endorse only 4.  I am comfortable
with the current wording.

> Another goof on my part, in additional requirements I added the line
> about specialized expertise people wanted (given security/stability
> etc) without seeing it's too close to the prior line about if you're
> not in the GNSO tell us your expertise.  So what do we really want to
> ask in the bracketed element below? 7 is about knowledge of/engagement
> in GNSO or equivalent, 8 is on specialized expertise relevant to the
> RT.  Keep them separate or merge the points somehow?
>
> 7. A two to three paragraph statement about the applicant's knowledge
> of the GNSO community and its structure and operations, and any details
> of his/her participation therein or, in the event that an applicant has
> not been involved in the GNSO community, a two to three paragraph
> description of [his/her qualifications that would be of relevance to
> the applicable RT;]
> 8. A one paragraph statement outlining the specialized technical or
> other [expertise they possess that would allow them to fully and
> effectively contribute to the work of the RT on which they wish to
> serve.]
[Gomes, Chuck] I prefer listing 8 separately.