ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: Adrian Kinderis <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:08:08 -0400

Well, there is a slight difference between

"An existing TLD that wants the IDN equivalent won't get knocked back
because it is confusingly similar (i.e. The applicant is the same
entity as the existing gtld registry)."

and

"Any applicant that wants the IDN equivalent won't get knocked back
because it is confusingly similar."

Yours is the first quoted sentence, I've tried to fit what I know
Cary's position to be into the same language in the second quoted
sentence. Of course, there is the hidden assumption that the purpose
of the applicants for .博物馆, etc., are consistent with MuseDoma's,
so the "confusion" is "intentional" and "beneficial", as we've used
those terms previously.

Cheers,
Eric