ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 26 March 2010 Meetingly

  • To: "Claudio Di Gangi" <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>, "'Victoria McEvedy'" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rafik Dammak" <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 26 March 2010 Meetingly
  • From: "Anthony Harris" <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:56:00 -0300

Claudio,

Thanks for this clear response, which I support in it's
entirety. ICANN's impressive growth since the days
of it's launching in 1999, has been possible because
interest groups were allowed leeway to self-organize
within a framework of constituencies in the manner
tha worked best for them. Rigid and bureaucratic
straightjackets have never been the norm in the
ICANN environs, and I hesitate to conclude that
this has changed today.

Two things caught my attention in the recent e-mail
exchange flow:

I noticed a certain skepticism about the question of
difficulty in unearthing volunteers in constituencies,
who would replace officers obliged to step down to
comply with term limits. Well, be as it may, this is
frequently a fact of life. Companies and entities may
be willing to participate in a constituency as members,
but not many would commit their representatives to
engage as officers (sit on Council, Stakeholder Group
Executive Committee, or Constituency Executive
Committee). The reason? Simple - hours of workload,
F2F meetings, teleconferences at unseemly hours for
some, etc.

With regards to comments that emphasize the need for
"proposed standard rules to Policy committees", perhaps
we should venture a reminder that, within a Constituency,
an Executive Committee is not a Policy Committee, but
simply a steering group that coordinates the ongoing
functions of the Constituency, and ensures the membership
has all due opportunities to discuss ICANN issues, and
provide consensus input to the Councillors, and as of now
the Stakeholder Group Executive Committee, on policy matters
as they emerge in the GNSO.

Tony Harris