ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] User's concerns related to Post Expiry Domain Name Recovery.

  • To: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] User's concerns related to Post Expiry Domain Name Recovery.
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:32:45 -0500

Siva, I am sorry that you were so disappointed in my suggested recommendations. Certainly they are not the ones that I would have put forward if I were allowed if not subject to any constraints. I specifically did try to ensure that they would not have a significant impact on registrar business models and existing processes and would have implementation costs that were commensurate with the perceived benefits.

Although I had prior support on them from a number of WG members, I made those recommendations on my own behalf and not as chair. I made them based on my perceptions of a way forward based on all of our discussions (and many off-WG discussions) including your comments.

You are free to make specific recommendations yourself. They of course must be limited by the scope of this particular PDP. Although we might all like to change things that we do not personally favour, that is not always an option. As an example, consider your issue of a registrar re-assigning the domain name instead of putting it back in the pool. If this is not allowed by the current RAA or registry rules, then is a contractual or compliance issue - although some people feel that it is indeed such an issue, to date ICANN compliance has taken any action, nor have any registrars. If it is allowed under current contracts, then to disallow it will require either a negotiated contract change, or a consensus policy. But I cannot see how it fits within the scope of THIS PDP.

I look forward to seeing your concrete proposals.

Alan