ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Sectoral diversity now constituency diversity

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Sectoral diversity now constituency diversity
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:08:24 -0400

As you can tell Jon, I have concerns about using the word 'constituency'
for the very reason you state, i.e., some will associate it with
Constituency.

Possible amendments to the RySG charter could look like the following
regarding the selection of Council reps:

- ICANN Bylaws requirements regarding geographic diversity should be
met.

- To the extent possible, in meeting Bylaws geographic requirements, the
RySG should consider such factors as registry interest group and
individual skills diversity.

- In cases where geographic diversity requirements and/or goals cannot
be met, the RySG should follow Bylaws requirements and GNSO Rules of
Procedure to request possible exceptions.

Looking at the present RyC situation, there are seven registries located
in the North American region, six in the European region and one in the
Asia Pacific region, with one more pending from Europe.  Hopefully that
will broaden considerably in the future, but that will not happen until
probably late in 2010 at the soonest, and even then, new registries may
be so busy getting up and running that their ability to participate
actively in the RySG and the GNSO may be limited.  In the meantime, we
will have limited choices of available Council representatives and our
one representative from the Asia Pacific region will be termed out.  All
we are looking for is some flexibility so that we are not forced into a
situation where we have to select a representative strictly on
geographic diversity and thereby sacrifice other important
qualifications such as availability to serve, appropriate skill sets to
facilitate effectiveness, and providing representativeness of different
interest groups within the RySG.

I understand the goal to make the requirements exactly the same for all
SGs.  Simplicity is nice if it works.  But the reality is that each SG
has its own unique issues and to ignore those for the sake of simplicity
seems unwise.

Chuck