ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Updated Wiki for Vertical Integration WG

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Updated Wiki for Vertical Integration WG
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:22:32 +0100

For those not on the FF PDP, towards the end of the period in which
Mickey chaired the group, the calls got pretty difficult. I recall Joe
St. Sauver demanding if someone who disagreed with him wasn't a
spammer. Dave Piscatello was almost as collegial with anyone who
didn't share his limited background.

A faction of the FF PDP WG were claiming that all registrars had to
run 24x7x365 operations, "because the bad guys don't sleep", utterly
ignoring the access cost and volume relation exploited by FF authors.

It was wicked ugly. I organized side-bar calls with the RrC
contributors, and then jointly with the RrC and RyC contributors, but
in the end, it was simpler to just exit.

The Liaison to the GNSO Council reported that the group was on track
and reported no problems. After hearing that I'd no further interest
in the PDP.

>From my own point of view, as an early contributor to the FF PDP WG,
the group had been captured, Mickey's resignation as Chair and the
movement of serious work elsewhere were symptoms of process failure.

Chairs don't fail process, participants run amok fail process.

Eric