ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument

  • To: "'Milton L Mueller'" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument
  • From: "Brian Cute" <briancute@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:47:40 -0400

Milton,

This is really sad.  First as one of the organizers of the web site in
question, along with PIR and Neustar, I take no personal offence to Milton's
use of the word "jihad."  I would only note that the word jihad means either
a "holy war"  (overly used and a sometimes incorrect interpretation by
non-Muslims) or an "internal, individual, spiritual struggle toward
self-improvement, moral cleansing and intellectual effort."  It's safe to
say that our collective efforts to vigorously advocate for a policy solution
within the ICANN process doesn't square with the meanings of the word.

For the record, I did not respond to the co-chairs concerning your post and
I don't see anybody trying to "shut anybody up" on this working group.  It
has been an open process throughout.   I am the last person who would
advocate political correctness when it comes to speech but if some people on
the working group took offence, that is their right - not their lack of a
sense of humor.

Brian