ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] word police was the "it excludes some applicants" argument

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] word police was the "it excludes some applicants" argument
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:24:47 -0400

Hi,

As we collect more and more words we are not allowed to used in the ICANN
context,

(News Headline: Forget TLDs ICANN now defines new four letter words!)

i want to take issue on the definitional front.

i have little to say about the insult front as I know that with a little bit of
effort  i could insult someone  using any almost any word in the dictionary,
just depends on how i use it, and whether they are ready to take offense.  kind
of like fouls in futbol.

On 9 Jul 2010, at 13:47, Brian Cute wrote:

> First as one of the organizers of the web site in question, along with PIR
> and Neustar, I take no personal offence to Milton’s use of the word “jihad.”
> I would only note that the word jihad means either a “holy war”  (overly used
> and a sometimes incorrect interpretation by non-Muslims) or an “internal,
> individual, spiritual struggle toward self-improvement, moral cleansing and
> intellectual effort.”  It’s safe to say that our collective efforts to
> vigorously advocate for a policy solution within the ICANN process doesn’t
> square with the meanings of the word.

among the definitions i found are:

          - A crusade or struggle:
        "The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who
smoke" (Fortune).

         - a crusade for a principle or belief

        -   An aggressive campaign for an idea.

         -    (theology) a personal spiritual struggle for self-improvement and
against evil

        -  relentless campaign: a relentless campaign against somebody or
something

        -  a fanatic campaign for or against an idea, etc.; crusade

       - any vigorous, emotional crusade for an idea or principle.

       ETYMOLOGY:
       Arabic jihd, from jahada, to strive; see ghd in Semitic root

I leave it up to people's judgements whether creating a web site e.g.

<http://intratldregistryregistrarseparation.org/ >
Supporting True Intra-Registry Separation to Help Prevent Insider Trading

qualifies for any of these definitions.

Now the real problem I see is that  using this bad bad word probably got
various country's security services to start reviewing our email.

a.