ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: "Rules" for proposal-summaries and Principles-summaries

  • To: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: "Rules" for proposal-summaries and Principles-summaries
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:34:50 -0400

Margie,

When we are discussing the summaries of policy statements of reference to the working group, are we discussing texts which are authored by Staff, or texts which are authored by members of the working group, presumably within the process of the working group?

If the working group is incapable of articulating summaries of texts which have external authorship, and the Charles River Associates International Report, the Nairobi Resolution, the texts supplied by Professors Salop and Wright, and DAGv4 all share this key characteristic of being the products of external authorship, it would be useful to articulate this.

I can't think of a supporting rational for this from the Working Group Model Team (WGMT), but I've only kept a cursory eye on that team's work, I'm sure Jeff Neuman is much better informed than I, nor can I think of a supporting rational for this from the EricPolicy Development Process (PDP) Team (PDPT), though again, I've not followed this team's work in detail.

I can see the institutional rational for WG supporting Staff declining to offer interpretations of other Staff produced texts, or texts produced by third parties, the Board included, but the rational for an incapacity of a WG to state the relevant issues contained in an arbitrary text of arbitrary authorship and origin escapes me.

Eric