ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:12:56 -0400

Hi,

Except that with the exception of indicating various condition like community
and idn in our report, we never presumed to judge whether a string was worthy
or not.

The only way of judging the worth of a string would be to have the Board judge
it as being worthy.  And somehow, I just don't see that happening.  I think the
conditions that were laid down in the previous part work done by thew WG were
adequate:

> Full Consensus: The main criterion for eligibility should be need. An
> applicant would not be selected for support unless the need criterion is met.
> Once applicants meet the initial need criterion, the WG recommends that the
> following categories of applicant receive support (not in priority order):
>  Full Consensus: Community based applications such as cultural, linguistic
> and ethnic. These potential applicants have the benefits of being relatively
> well defined as groups. Facilitating community on the web is one of ICANN’s
> Core Values15;
>  Full Consensus: Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), civil society and
> not-for-profit organizations;
>  Full Consensus: Applicants located in emerging markets/nations;
>  Full Consensus: Applications in languages whose presence on the web is
> limited;
>  Strong Support but significant opposition: Local entrepreneurs, who
> otherwise meet other criteria in this section, in those markets where market
> constraints make normal business operations more difficult.

Of course, we can reopen this issue and come up with a way for determining
which strings are worthy and which aren't.  Personally I think that is not the
way to go.

a.