ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them

  • To: tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:24:47 -0400

On 29 July 2011 03:58, <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do agree with you that the fund can’t be the only support the needy
> applicants can have. I see it as an addition to what we clearly adopted in
> our first milestone report, and reiterated in the second MR; I mean the fee
> reduction. The fact that the GAC took the same position advising for a
> reduction of 76% is another proof that without cost reduction, there will
> not be an applicant support program, and the 2 million dollars fund will not
> be really useful by itself.****** **
>
> In its resolution in Singapore, the Board mentioned the fee reduction
> proposed by the GAC as a point to be considered. So, I’m more optimistic
> than you are, and I think that our final report must highlight the cost
> reduction as the main form of support the applicants can get.

Hi Tijani.

Thanks for supporting the position on cost reduction. It is critical that it
not be ignored among the discussion of the fund.

To me this is not a matter of optimism or pessimism. It is simply a desire
that the Board clarify -- to the JAS group and the broader community -- that
it explicitly supports the call for cost reduction. The pessimism you
correctly note is my observation that -- in the absense of such clarity -- a
significant core component of the JAS program continues to be merely
speculative.

- Evan