Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 9:20 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: disclosure

410 writes:

>The decision is pending. That is a fact. Pardon me for not mincing my own words quite like you minced them.<

I wasn't intentionally mincing your words. They could be read the way I took them. I apologize. However, non-disclosive and potentially misleading statements, such as the .web TM claim, aren't likely to convince anyone in a position to do anything about it of the justice of your cause.

>And so good of you to have no self-interest of your own.<

I own a couple of commercial .com sites. That is my sole financial interest. I don't expect that interest to be hurt or helped by increasing TLDs, whether or not that includes .web, or whether or not .web includes IOD's database. My sites aren't listed as for sale, they're not intended for sale, certainly their names (while good ones, some ARE still available) aren't for sale as separate items.

What concerns me in this process is that those names could be taken away by someone claiming trademark infringement. A year ago I would have considered that absurd as they aren't identical or even confusingly similar to any trademarks SFAIK. But the rulings coming out of the ICANN dispute process have changed my thinking on that.

That to me is a larger issue for a larger segment of the community than what happens to those who took a speculative chance on .web. It is an issue that should also be of concern to those who hold .web names. Assuming they make it into the root, they could still lose.

>If the .web database is wiped, I am sure you won't go near your computer, to type b-u-s-i-n-e-s-s-.-w-e-b the day they reopen it.<

Nope, if eCompanies is willing to pay $7.5 mill for business.com, they'll be willing to pay lawyers good money to ruin my day. I've already said elsewhere that I have no intention of registering any .web names, and that (assuming IOD is applying and accepted as the .web registry) it should be brought in complete with database, partly as a proof of concept, partly to put this long-standing issue behind us.

Having a flood of .web names show up for sale on greatdomains won't inconvenience me, even if they're the equivalent of my .com names. Even a site opening in competition to me with such a name doesn't concern me so long as they don't pretend to 'be' me. If I can't make my own way on the net with what I have to offer then I shouldn't be here. But I don't want to be pushed out by some corp with access to ICANN or its flawed dispute resolution policy. That is something that needs to be addressed along with any increase in TLDs or the number of disputes, lawsuits, etc. will increase by a greater margin, no doubt including many .web names if they exist.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy