Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 12:05 AM GMT (Sat, July 8, 2000 at 7:05 PM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Not

<<< If I have devised a new publishing concept named "abc" I will use it for "abc flowers", "abc cars", "abc homes", etc... If I head the XYZ company I will have XYZ USA, XYZ UK, XYZ France, XYZ Japan, etc... If I develop a control network for the New York traffic lights I will want DNs built as NYtrafficlight-01000, etc... But today if I register "abc-flowers.com" and "abc-cars.com" a cybersquatter will register "abc-homes" for $15 and try to sell it back to me for millions. >>

Well, you can't claim IP rights on the first three letter of the alphabet, so abc-homes.com would not be rightfully yours.

And the speculator (distinct from cybersquatter) would not be trying to "sell it back" to you, because you never had it in the first place.

Having said that, I don't PERSONALLY advocate the form of speculating that you indicate.

But rest assured, if I owned Books.com, I would definitely construct an elaborate site on that domain, and would entertain offers. Should I be tarred and feathered because of it? lol.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy