Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 12:25 AM GMT (Sat, July 8, 2000 at 7:25 PM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: What if...

<<< Think about the dramatic impact on all our problems of an inability to transfer domain names. You should cancel them first, unless the new owner is an affiliate of the former owner. Like some countries do. End of cybersquatting. >>>

Would you prohibit a company from selling the business that it has set up on a website--much the way businesses are sold in the brick and mortar world?

If I owned Perfume.com and sold perfume on that site as a subdivision of a larger company. . . would your vision of domain transfer policy enable me to sell my site business to an interested party, so he could pick up the profits, and even reorganize the commercial structure of the site? Or do I just have to close my Internet doors and not benefit the way offline businesses do when there is an interested buyer?

If you would allow me to retain the rights of a business transfer, then inherent in that transfer would be the domain name.

Same thing, different route.

Enough with hating people who make money from selling domains.
I have NEVER made a penny on a sale, but have had parties approach me with offers on 1 or 2 of my generics. We could not come to an agreement, because I deemed the domain to be worth more, based upon the kind of money I could make from the developed site.

But what if the other party deemed my asking price to be a worthwhile investment? Do you feel it necessary to stick your nose in there, and say, "no can do!!"

lol. . . That's pretentious. And it is not the way the world in offline business works.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy