Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jefsey
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 2:22 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: you are right but we have to go ahead in addition!

You are right in saying that I cannot have DNs without buying them. This is what I proposes a gTLD (".sys") reserved for systems where you do not register a single DN but a format and pay accordingly.

So if I show I am commited to a given format in having it - and in maintaining it - on other gTLD, and if I am the first one having reached 100 DNs of that format, i.e. the largest at that time, I am in the position of a "famous" owner (like for "famous trade marks").
At that time I may acquire the right to be the only one to use that format on the ".sys" gTLD, which does not prevent others to use it on .com, .net, .fr, etc.

This has three aims:
- to protect my investment which is obviously more important than others, against sybesquatters.
- to protect the users, which may rely on the fact that a domain name of that form is mine. As you are happy to know that a car is a Ford or a Chrysler even if they wear different model names.
- to protect the internet and the future which may be demanding of 2nd level semantics and rules (as I am for a common interest project soon to be disclosed). Many ways of using internet addresses will certainly be invented in the future. Today's chaos will not help them.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy