Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: wbell
Date/Time: Sat, October 28, 2000 at 9:07 AM GMT (Sat, October 28, 2000 at 5:07 AM AST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Another Outlook

For those who have not done so, I would encourage them to read Dr. Lewis Eigen's comments "Opposition to WHO top level domain for health."  I believe that his comments provide an interesting perspective.

I am well aware that something should be done to identify "valid" heath information.  Misinformation is harmful and should be diswaded (few of us would disagree).  Information that is "valid" in one nation, is at times unacceptable in another.  Even the use of e-mail for medical communication varies from country to country, from acceptance to prohibition.

One problem is, that each individual country is not taking responsibility for providing a means of identifiable and reliable health information to its populace.  I believe that this would be a preferable approach.  If however, this is not being pursued, I would support the World Health Organization's desire to do so.

As Dr. Eigen has already stipulated, there are many ways that this might be accomplished.  I would recommend that the approach be carefully considered. Regardless of the method ultimately applied, the WHO should be congratulated for stepping up to the plate.

Wayne Bell, LL.B.
Chief Executive Officer
The Digital Group of Telehealth Companies
Secretary, Canadian Society of Telehealth
Legal Advisor, International Society of Telemedicine

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy