Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kristopher
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 11:00 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Sunrise period

Yes, I have heard of the sunrise period. I'm not a big fan of it, but let me explain why I'm willing to live with it.

First off, according to the Afilias position, "owners of any subsisting trademark or service mark registration having national effect (i.e. no United States state trademark applications or foreign equivalents) and that issued prior to October 2, 2000 will be eligible to register a domain name that is identical to its mark, using ASCII characters only." I don't see a problem with that, since the trademark owners will *only* be able to register a domain name that is identical to its mark. So Cisco won't be able to snatch up routers.web, and Microsoft won't be able to snatch up software.web.

Second, with or without a sunrise period, trademark holders are going to dispute registrations. And they're going to win. That's a given. We can let Apple Computer have apple.web during a sunrise period, or we can let somebody else register it and have Apple take the name away using the UDRP. I'm not a fan of the UDRP and many of the decisions have been dead wrong, especially in regards to very generic words like apple.web. Nonetheless, the imperfections in the system exist and we must come to accept them. We can either deal with them before the official beginning of registrations, or we can deal with them after the official beginning of registrations. Personally, I favor doing it before, using the sunrise period. It will save us the bickering of large corporations, and will save individuals and small business owners the trouble of having to spend time and money on the UDRP process. It should be noted that registrations placed during the sunrise period can be disputed, so those who do have the time, money and will to fight for a registration will be able to do so.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy