Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jweb
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 5:36 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Sunrise Period?

>First off, according to the Afilias position, "owners of any subsisting trademark or service mark registration having national effect (i.e. no United States state trademark applications or foreign equivalents) and that issued prior to October 2, 2000 will be eligible to register a domain name that is identical to its mark, using ASCII characters only." I don't see a problem with that,<

The problem I see is that it establishes a precedent. The obvious strategy is for people to register trademarks in time for the next wave of gTLDs. The October 2000 cut off point will work this time only.

>Second, with or without a sunrise period, trademark holders are going to dispute registrations. And they're going to win.<
The present mechanisms available to aggrieved trademark holders are adequate. Therefore, the Sunrise period is just a useless extra layer of legislation in an area already subject to much debate and confusion. My understanding of the situation from the posts on the this and the previous forum (TLD applications) is that the Sunrise period is a new concept that has not been attempted before and is untested in law (anybodys). Yet in the application review, it is accepted without comment by the review team as a method by certain applicants for protecting the rights of others.
John Webster

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy