ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:01:33 -0500

Hi,

On 27 Dec 2009, at 08:48, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:

> We often have participation problems in our groups, so although I understand
> the theory of what Avri is saying and you seem to be supporting, in practice
> I think chair/vice chair participation often helps a lot, as your personal
> situation clearly shows.

I agree completely that chair/v-vhair participation  helps a lot and is often
critical.  And I think they are the best people for interim roles.  In fact I
would go so far as to say without them jumping in at the beginning of a
process, nothing might get started.

My argument has to do with the longer term.  I think one of the roles of the
interim chair is to recruit his or her replacement as quickly as possible.  Not
only does this allow for the creation of a new set of leaders it leaves the
chair/v-chairs free to get the next things underway and free to jump into
emergency areas where the person leading needs help or has to leave a task for
some other reason.

a.