ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position

  • To: Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:19:57 +0100

Yes, those notes are consistent with what I remember: Chuck was chosen as Chair
after no-one stepped in to take over.

With regards to your current activities as manager of several groups, I'm not
sure you understand what I mean. I am arguing that not only was it good that
you volunteered to for these roles, I also think it is good that you carry on
in these roles unless someone else steps in to help out. The reality of the
situation within ICANN is that there is such dependency on volunteers that
participation is not what we might want it to be. This being the case, by
getting involved in these groups it is my view that you are providing a crucial
service to the community. This is why I remain puzzled by your earlier
statements which I understand as you saying that these groups should not be
managed by someone in a GNSO Council VC position. My take is that it's much
better to have someone act and do things than to theorize about what the ideal
situation would be. This is the reasoning I had when I proposed to Chuck that I
could step in as interim OSC Chair if he needed me.

Thanks,

Stéphane