ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] Re: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] Re: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:00:35 -0500

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Here's another example why I believe that clarification of the confusingly similar restrictions recommendation is needed: It was made very clear that the League of Arab States would like to apply for two gTLDs, .arab and . *ي عرب* I think it is safe to conclude that these two TLDs are confusingly similar because the mean the same thing. If the League of Arab States was the registry for both gTLDs, would the two strings cause user confusion? I seriously doubt it. Should the League of Arab States have to go to Extended Evaulation to establish that? I certainly do not think so.

I was under the impression that the League of Arab States was pursuing an iso3166-1 allocation, which, given the dozen regional intellectual property entities which have iso3166-1 allocations, or more generally, the utility of regional associations such as the Organization of African Unity, the Organization of American States, ..., that the League having a TLD as an association of territorial jurisdictions seems more desirable than merely as a contracted party.

However, lots of peoples have looked at the iso3166-1 problem and the gTLD opportunities, and concluded that one resolves in a decade or so at known cost, the other is less well bounded.

With that distraction set aside, how is a Latin script string confusingly similar to an Arabic script string?

I agree with the conclusions, the two strings are not confusingly similar (or similar at all), and as a single applicant with two applications, one in Latin and one in a non-Latin script, the right evaluation process should not involve process-to-failure followed by some heroic measures to correct a latent general defect in the evaluation system.

Eric