ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:27:56 -0800

I agree with Chuck, that there was strong support for this broader notion of
what is confusingly similar, as set out pretty clearly in a couple different
places within the Council recommendations.  I believe that the GNSO
recommendations for the new gTLD program would not have passed, certainly
not with a supermajority, without that broader definitional understanding.
It should not be altered now, as it was a fundamental understanding of many
of us who acceded to the final, final package, of recommendations -- with
much compromise by all parties throughout them.

It is consistent with trademark law across the globe.  For example, "Manzana
Computer" (Manzana = Apple) would not achieve trademark registration in the
US, and I believe in most countries, in light of Apple's pre-existing
registrations.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
548 Market Street