ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 18:09:59 -0500

Please see below Avri.

Chuck

I never said it was. But in cases where there may be the chance of confusion,
the opportunity is provided to object.

That is not the issue we are talking about on this list.  We are talking about
whether an applicant can apply for a variation of an existing or other proposed
string without that application being ruled out by recommendation 2, the
confusing similarity restriction. The bottom line is that recommendation 2
should not be used to exclude a string where the probability of confusion does
not exist, even if it is similar in some way.