ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:30:56 -0500

Hi,

On 6 Feb 2010, at 12:00, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>> The latest version of the one that has been proposed is:
>>
>> VI is defined as a business structure in which there is no
>> separation between the registry operator and the registrar
>> in relation to a particular gTLD. They are either owner and
>> operated by the same company or have another contractual
>> affiliation that covers the specific gTLD, and the domain name
>> supplier is not required to provide full and equal access to
>> independent firms to sell names under its gTLD.
>>
>> Is everyone OK with this?
>
> I yam.

I think I am as well except that I would correct the typo i put in : replace
owner with owned

> Don't we also need a definition of cross-ownership, just to avoid further
> confusion about that?
>
> Here's a stab at that:
> "Cross ownership" is defined as the ownership of a controlling share of a
> registry by a registrar, or vice-versa, while maintaining the contractual and
> functional separation and equal access arrangements required by ICANN
> policies and contracts. As long as equal access arrangements are in place,
> cross-ownership that permits the registrar to sell the names of the
> cross-owned  TLD registry shall not be considered a form of vertical
> integration.

While I agree with what the end result would be, i am somewhat troubled by
bundling Recommendation 19 into the definition of CO.  I also do not know if
controlling share is a necessary part of the definition.  And I   think there
has to be some notion of verifying that in those cases were cross-ownership is
allowed, the fair and equal access can be verified.

What would we call a relation where a registrar owns a strong minority share of
a registry and they have concluded a marketing deal that gives priority to that
registrar in selling the names of that Registry's new gTLD.  It seems that we
would have a cross-ownership situation with a question of VI and degree.

I would recommend something like:

"Cross ownership" is defined as the ownership of a share of a registry by a
registrar, or vice-versa. As long as full and equal access arrangements and
protections are in place ad verifiable, cross-ownership that permits the
registrar to sell the names of the cross-owned  TLD registry shall not be
considered a form of vertical integration.

> What about the objectives that were proposed?
>
> Objective 1: to set policy and procedures that provide clear direction to
> ICANN staff and new TLD applicants on whether, and if so under what
> conditions, contracts for new TLD registries can permit vertical integration
> or otherwise deviate from standard forms of registry-registrar separation and
> equal access.
>
> Objective 2: to examine current gTLD contracts and practices approved by
> ICANN staff and determine if any of them are outside the current policy
> framework regarding vertical integration, and, if so make recommendations as
> to how to respond to these exceptions.

I think we need an objective 1a: That asks:

1a. Does the recommendation made in DAGv3 meet the criteria of that clear
direction.  If not, make recommendations on how those criteria can be met.

a.