ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] cross-ownership definition

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] cross-ownership definition
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:19:01 -0500

> > Don't we also need a definition of cross-ownership, just to avoid
> further confusion about that?
> >
> > Here's a stab at that:
> > "Cross ownership" is defined as the ownership of a controlling share of
> a registry by a registrar, or vice-versa, while maintaining the
> contractual and functional separation and equal access arrangements
> required by ICANN policies and contracts. As long as equal access
> arrangements are in place, cross-ownership that permits the registrar to
> sell the names of the cross-owned  TLD registry shall not be considered a
> form of vertical integration.
>

> While I agree with what the end result would be, i am somewhat troubled by
> bundling Recommendation 19 into the definition of CO.

?? I don't see any mention of Rec 19 there. Can you explain?

> I also do not know
> if controlling share is a necessary part of the definition.

Ok, it doesn't have to be. My reason for putting it in was that I was under the
impression that minority ownership is already allowed by current policy. So the
purpose of the definition is to make it clear that the WG will be concerned
only with CO issues that involve acquisition of a controlling share. With a
controlling share, CO moves somewhat closer on the spectrum towards VI, which
makes it a concern of this PDP.

> And I think
> there has to be some notion of verifying that in those cases were cross-
> ownership is allowed, the fair and equal access can be verified.

Here I think you are getting away from definitions and into specifying policy.
One of the chief policy debates about cross ownership has to do with the
verifiability of equal access/nondiscrimination. The registries have argued
that unless there is a ban on selling a cross-owned TLD, we cannot enforce
nondiscrimination. The registrars have argued that such a ban is not needed. By
including the word "verifiable" in there you may be viewed as pre-judging that
issue.

The definition of CO I proposed above was meant to define the type of CO this
WG will consider as in scope, and to distinguish it from pure VI. It was not
intended to specify the appropriate policy for allowing or not allowing CO, nor
is it appropriate for a DT charter to do that.

I think the issue of verifiability should be left to the WG as a policy issue,
and left out of the definition. If you like, we can explicitly mention it in
the description of the WG scope or objectives.

> What would we call a relation where a registrar owns a strong minority
> share of a registry and they have concluded a marketing deal that gives
> priority to that registrar in selling the names of that Registry's new
> gTLD.  It seems that we would have a cross-ownership situation with a
> question of VI and degree.

Sure, there is a gradation here but again I am under the impression that
current contractual arrangements already allow minority shares. Perhaps the
registrars and registries on this list can clear up that factual issue.

If we decide to remove the "controlling share" language from the CO definition,
then the easy solution is to specify a threshold (say, 30%); above that we
consider the share large enough to be considered "cross ownership" below that
we don't. Advantage: the definition is clearer. Disadvantage: the threshold is
somewhat arbitrary.

--MM