ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Re: cross-ownership definition

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: cross-ownership definition
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 17:01:07 +0100

Hi,

>> While I agree with what the end result would be, i am somewhat troubled by
>> bundling Recommendation 19 into the definition of CO.
>
> ?? I don't see any mention of Rec 19 there. Can you explain?

Recommendation 19 "
Registries must use only ICANN accredited registrars in registering domain
names and may not discriminate among such accredited registrars."

I.e i assumed that this was well know shorthand, in a group such as this, for:

>> while maintaining the
>> contractual and functional separation and equal access arrangements
>> required by ICANN policies and contracts

Apologies for my error.

>> And I think
>> there has to be some notion of verifying that in those cases were cross-
>> ownership is allowed, the fair and equal access can be verified.
>
> Here I think you are getting away from definitions and into specifying policy.

I don't think so.  I think trying to set what those protections should be would
be policy and defining the methods for verification implementation.  I think
defining something as protected and verifiable is common sense and is inherent
in the bylaws requirement of ICANN and the in compliance responsibilities of
ICANN.

But I admit if maybe borderline (one person's common sense is often another
person's error) and if others think that it is policy, then I would recommend
another objective such as:

Determine whether the full and equal access by all registrars requirement on
Registries needs to be protected and if so, what those protections should be.
Also determine whether this needs to be verified by ICANN compliance measures.
(note, i admit ignorance about the extent of protections and verification that
may already be in place)

cheers,

a.