ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Objectives description

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Objectives description
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:03:14 -0500

I was indeed equating "current practice" with "proposals made by the
implementation team."

If that equation is not valid (and there I guess I agree), then I don't see why
a forward-looking policy development process would want to "review existing
practice."

If it's existing practice we are not in a position to change it with a PDP, are
we? Those contracts and businesses are in place. Further, I have some concern
about the open-endedness of a review of current practice. That seems to open
the door to expanding this PDP into almost any aspect of registry-registrar
relations. I think we need to carefully delimit what we are looking at.

Again, let's try to keep this simple. I see two objectives.

1) There is a long-term issue: should new forms of VI be permitted that were
clearly not permitted before?

2) There is a short-term issue: are the cross-ownership and joint marketing
arrangements contemplated by DAGv3 allowable (a break with policy) and a good
idea?

Those are neatly contained questions that a WG can bound and answer in a
reasonable period of time.