ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:57:19 +0100

Hi,

I wanted to make a few follow-up comments to those I made about consensus
policy and refer them to the preamble.

> Preamble:  The working group on vertical integration shall evaluate policy
> recommendations for [new gTLDs only] [new gTLDs and existing gTLDs.  As
> explained in the Issues Report, the working group may be restricted in its
> ability to create Consensus Policies under existing registry agreements.]
> [The working group expects to define the range of restrictions on vertical
> separation that are currently in effect, to serve as a baseline to evaluate
> future proposals.]

I think that the policy/guidelines this group recommends should be applicable
across gTLD registries, old and new.

Once approved, I believe they should apply to the new GTLDs in this first
round.  The policy/guidelines do not necessarily have to be complete for the
next DAG, but they do need to be completed, community reviewed and board voted
on before the final guidebook.  While I think we should be done before DAGv4
(does anyone know the real schedule on that), if we aren't then the DAGv4
should leave a place holder on this topic.

On the question of their applicability to existing gTLDS, I think the issue is
more complex.  I do _not_ see this PDP as being able to produce consensus
policy on that - I think in the case of  consensus policy that would change the
condition in an existing arrangement,m the PDP question would have to be quite
specific.  What I think this PDP can do, and should do, in relation to the
existing arrangements is measure then against the policy/guideline produced in
this PDP and recommend whether further work on consensus policies should be
considered by the GNSO and GNSO Council.  In doing this the WG should produce a
list a very specific areas/questions, if any are found, in which a consensus
policy PDP would be recommended.

In deference to

> {Objective 4:  To perform the PDP activities in a manner that does not delay
> the launch of the New GTLD Program. }

We may want to set two deliverables,
- one the Policy/guideline on all gTLDS and the analysis of the options on VI
included in DAGv3.   (Obj 1,2)
- and the other the recommendation for consensus policy action, if any, for
existing gTLDs. (Obj 3)

The part of me that wants to be optimistic about our ability to get this all
done in 6 weeks wants to argue against this approach.  But some aspects of
reality dawned on me today when it became obvious we could not have a charter
in time for the meeting on 18 Feb.  The extra 3 weeks spent on the charter
means we probably could not deliver objective 3 in 16 weeks - if ever we could
have (with  deference to MM having called it impossible from day 1).  But in
deference to Objective 4, delivering on Objectives 1&2 by May 14 might be a
start. With Obj 3 a month later.

a.