ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Preamble
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:57:15 +0100

Thanks Avri,

2 questions:

- Why do you think not making the Feb 18 meeting time would push the charter
back 3 weeks? We should be able to finish the charter on or around the 18th and
therefore submit to the Council, maybe for discussion on list. As there is a
16-week time limit on this PDP, I'm sure Council would like to start looking at
the charter asap. Maybe even discuss online approval...

- The Issues Report implied that we face restrictions if we attempt to set
policy for existing gTLDs. If would like to get clear indications from Staff on
this. As a reminder, the motion states that the PDP "shall evaluate which
policy recommendations, if any, should be developed on the topic of vertical
integration between registrars and registries affecting both new gTLDs and
existing gTLDs, as may be possible under existing contracts and as allowed
under the ICANN Bylaws". We should therefore not proceed under the given
assumption that policies should be developed for existing gTLDs. The wording is
"if any". However, should this be the case, I would like to have some
instructions from Staff on whether we are able to set policy for existing gTLDs
through this process or not.

The GNSO is overworked enough as it is. I don't think we want to see it
applying itself on things that aren't useful.

Stéphane