ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Charter

  • To: 'Stéphane Van Gelder' <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Charter
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:56:37 -0500

Stephane and Margie:
I think you've done a nice job of translating a chaotic discussion into a
well-formed charter draft.
I now see almost no few definitional quibbles to go after, all that is left is
a highly substantive debate over the proper scope of the PDP.

There is however one minor this I hope we can agree on: in the definition of VI
you have replaced "is" with "may" so that the definition now reads "domain name
supplier may not required to provide full and equal access to independent firms
to sell names under its gTLD." I think this is just a mistake: it has to read
"is not required." I thought we had agreed that if a Ry-Rr combo is required to
provide equal access to others it is no longer vertical integration. (if we
decide to keep "may not", you have to add "may not be").

The VI definition still has Avri's original typo: it is "owned" not "owner"

As for scope....

I am surprised you have added "and existing TLDs" to the Preamble, and
surprised that Objective 3 is still in there. I did not gather consensus around
that issue from my reading of the list discussions. It seems to me that any PDP
objective that arouses the sleeping dog of existing TLDs and threatens to
change them is incompatible with the other objectives, especially #4 which
calls for a timely result.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org