Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Georg Panzer
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 2:52 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Auctioning domain names under the new gTLDs

Sir - I propose that ICANN itself tries to auction the second level domain (SLD) under one of the possible new generic top-level domains (gTLD). ICANN can auction the exclusive right to use the domain name for a limited time period - lets say two years. When the license period terminates, ICANN is free to auction the site anew. This was a small issue under the liberalization of the Norwegian country code TLD (.no) this spring. The proposal was not adapted and the Norwegian Nic implemented a first come, first served-rule without any limitations with regard to generic terms and names.

I am certain that this will generate revenues for ICANN. Popular generic names under an attractive gTLD will have value even though the license is only for a limited time period.

I also think that auctioning as a means of distributing domain names also is a fair principle to follow. The market economy is based on such a principle. The rationale is, that the person/entity that is willing to pay the most for the domain name, also is the one that has the best use of it. The principle "first come, first served" will, in my opinion, not work well when one introduces new gTLDs today. The awareness of the value of attractive SLDs is so high, that one can safely presume that many people will apply for the same name when a new gTLD is being launched. It is not fair that a nano-secound shall be decisive when two (or a thousand) persons apply for the same SLD.

There are of course some legal issues that arise under such a system and that ICANN must consider. One is that ICANN might, under some jurisdictions, be held liable for the licensee’s infringement, based on its active contribution and its economic gains. However, I do not consider this an decisive issue, mainly since generic terms enjoy little legal protection under most jurisdictions. Still, there are examples that what is considered generic in English is uncommon and considered as specie in e.g. Germany. Material, in my opinion, is that ICANN under such a scheme distributes the name in good faith and solely based on an objective criteria (the highest bidder).

Georg Panzer

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy