Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: interpres
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 2:26 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Did you know... A non-profit is not prohibited from making money.

Garry, if you want to go into the legal aspects of it, ICANN's non-profit status merely prevents it from engaging in commercial activities and disbursing dividends to its shareholders; it does not mean that it has to lose money or at best break even. We could have a lively discussion as to where the profits from the proposed auctions should go, African famine relief being my favorite cause, though admittedly unrelated to ICANN's mission, but I cannot see what purpose is served by obliging ICANN to sell valuable domains for regulated prices to speculators who will turn around and resell these same domains to end users at a huge profit. I could almost see your point if the registrants were aspiring entrepreneurs in search of an effective name for their new venture. But those will be very few and far between. We all know that practically all of the purchasers in the first mad stampede will be resellers-speculators. The only way that everyone gets a fair chance is if an initial auction is held, as suggested. And the profits? Yes, let's talk about what to do with those.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy