Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: interpres
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 10:39 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: So your idea of equality obliges ICANN to sell diamonds and worthless beads at the same price?

Well, WorldThoughts, after reading your message very carefully, the only thought I find to be of any merit is the following:

Besides, there are an infinite number of possible domain names. You want them ALL on the auction block?

This objection did occur to me and I do not find it insuperable. In this country (Czech Republic) we have a law that if you want to buy a piece of real estate from city hall, city hall puts it on a public billboard for a few weeks and lets everybody bid on it. Since the world of the Internet is an order of magnitude speedier, one could introduce a rule that any domain that one proposes to register would be put up for a three day auction. Of course the speculators will not like it because the best names will not pass through THEIR hands on the way to the richest clients, where they will end up in any event.

I don't know where you studied economics but in Econ101 we were definitely NOT taught that a merchant should be required to sell all of her merchandise at a standard low price, regardless of its intrinsic value. But evidently, you attended a different school altogether.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy