Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 1:19 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Equality for all

Call me Garry,

Please do not be offended, twaddle was not meant as insult - it means the same as poppycock - or I strongly disagree in UK.

>Today, however, a small business must buy its prefered domain name on the secondary market (cfr. GreatDomains), and they are not more on an equal footing with a large cooperation there either.

Tomorrow, however, a small business CAN buy its prefered domain name on the primary market. They WILL BE on an equal footing with a large corporation.

>have the nano secounds on their side when the new TLDs are beeing launced.

The nano second was your phraseology - I have RECENTLY bought several good dot COMs - many YEARS after its birth. Good dot stores etc. will be available for MANY years to come.

>The thing is that the domain names that are the most attracive and valuable, are the English generic terms.

Agree with you 100 percent - but a trademark and businesses goes by their OWN name. Generic names are not allowed, see USPTO. For publicity they have the same chance as the rest of us in .store etc. over the years.

>In my opinion it is better that the Internet Comunity gets a pice of this value, than a speculater (including myself: I will also buy a raffel and try to register domains such a "business", "sex" and so on, and make a small fortune in case I win the lottery).

Why pay this money to ICANN rather than speculator? No crap about it being for the good of the Internet - what have they done to solve the real problems? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I am of average IQ, but sorted out the TM issues of conflict and infringement within a very short time frame - others put it to them before me. They knew this solution, yet CHOSE TO HIDE IT and enable fraudsters to rip of the consumer. AOLBILLING.COM and all the other confidence tricks would not have happened had .REG been in place. (I hope we BOTH win the lottery, BTW).

>I suggest that one of the new handfull TLDs are distributed that way.

I have several friends and family that run small businesses - do you not think it unfair to them in the primary market.

I must say I have NO objection to restricted TLDs (indeed recommend several - including .reg) - providing that it is FAIR.

>because your way of arguing fit more in a hen house than on a public international forum.

Georg - I am sooo deeply hurt ;-)

Seriously, I welcome reasoned critical appraisal. You are right if you think my methods confrontational, in this matter. Which is why I got my protest domain name. I am at a total loss to see how they could make this mess by ACCIDENT. These are very very intelligent people, the TM issue is so simple, it should have been sorted years ago. TM differs from others by its country, class, and name. Add a tag - .reg and presto. They have to do it NOW - the situation will be getting a LOT worse with new TLDs.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy