Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Georg Panzer
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 10:41 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Equal

Mr. Anderson,

Of cource I like the idea of everybody beeing equal, but some are more equal tham others.

I buy your argument that small businesses (or unwealthy businesses) are not on an equal footing with large (or wealthy) businesses if they where to bid on a specifc domain name.

Today, however, a small business must buy its prefered domain name on the secondary market (cfr. GreatDomains), and they are not more on an equal footing with a large cooperation there either. Your small businesses can then either by a domain under the existing .com (which is not very likely that they can afford) or hope to have the nano secounds on their side when the new TLDs are beeing launced.

The thing is that the domain names that are the most attracive and valuable, are the English generic terms. The value of these domains are not because of a companys branding or market recognition, but because they are in common use. In my opinion it is better that the Internet Comunity gets a pice of this value, than a speculater (including myself: I will also buy a raffel and try to register domains such a "business", "sex" and so on, and make a small fortune in case I win the lottery).

For sake of good order, I have not suggested that all of the new TLDs should be distributed by way of auctioning. I suggest that one of the new handfull TLDs are distributed that way.

Mr Anderson, I trust you did not understand my initial reference to Animal Farm of some beeing more equal than others. I found it fitting to include it because your way of arguing fit more in a hen house than on a public international forum.

Georg Panzer

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy