Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 10:46 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: You may as well throw the money away

If you would trust ICANN to manage the income wisely, you are a fool.

Their managerial and comunicative skills are none existant.

African famine relief is a VERY good cause (well done) and you would not want to see money wasted on maladministration.

If you could, would you put ICANN in charge of it?

NO - I didn't think so.

>cannot see what purpose is served by obliging ICANN to sell valuable domains for regulated prices to speculators who will turn around and resell these same domains to end users at a huge profit.

Can you see the point of buying anything at a fixed price (i.e. shares or investment in startup company), in the hope of making a lot of money from it?

If the name is very good, most IMHO are crap - it MAY BE sold. The end user will be a rich company, that will be making even MORE money out of that MEMORABLE name. It will make the money paid, look like peanuts.

So, the ones that had the GOOD idea to get a GOOD name, should they not be paid for it?

OR ARE YOU A BIG BUSINESS - who do not believe an INDIVIDUAL should be paid for his Intellectual Property?

A big business - that does not mind screwing the INDIVIDUAL for his entire life - for their corporate Intellectual Property?

>I could almost see your point if the registrants were aspiring entrepreneurs in search of an effective name for their new venture.

I think most are exactly like me. Someone who believes they have got a good idea to make some decent money, just to help make their life more bareable. Sorry you do not think that a worthy cause.

>The only way that everyone gets a fair chance is if an initial auction is held, as suggested.

What is wrong with the principle of first come - first served?

When you go to the cinema - you do not have to bid for the tickets - YOU WAIT IN LINE.

Or are you one of those posh rich ones that rudely push to the front the queue?

Sorry - you are talking TWADDLE.

>And the profits? Yes, let's talk about what to do with those

As I say, rationale above - You may as well throw the money away.

As to what I will do with the profits (if names good enough) - I plan to give my wife and 2 daughters a better life. It has been partly my fault that it has been very bad for them, the last 3 years.

To want to do something for your family is a selfish attitude - Sorry, I know. But it is what life teaches you - it is the only way to survive the corporate greed and mismanagement of your taxes by the government.

My personal situation does not matter. I think all speculators should get paid for their Intellectual Property.

The DNS is a ALL ENCOMPASSING naming system. It was never meant to be a Trademark Naming System - so they should NOT take precedent.

As a issuer of WORDS, it is FAIR and PROPER that they should go on a first come - first served basis.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Do you wish people to push in front of you all the time?

ONLY big business would give your augument. Or someone who does not consider ALL the angles.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy