Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: bigtymer
Date/Time: Fri, July 7, 2000 at 7:47 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: My viewpoint only

Just wanted to get in some of my opinions before Yokohama.

* Time

I think it is imperative that ICANN spends considerable time making decisions and implementing these new gTLDs. While many people have demanded that everything be finalized at Yokohama, we cannot be impatient. I want the new gTLDs just as much as many others here do however we're dealing with the future of the Internet here. We cannot afford mistakes. As it has been said, "Anything worth doing is worth doing right" and this statement is no truer than in this situation. Let's take our time and get this done right the first time. I have taken a look at the Summary of Board Actions Being Considered for the upcoming meeting and am pleased with the agenda. I commend ICANN for not giving into the pressure and demands urging ICANN to rush this process.

* Pre-Registrations

I really don't want to get into the mudslinging that has been going on between the proponents and opponents of pre-registrations. I just want to make a few comments. It was mentioned in a previous post that everybody has had an opportunity to pre-register .web domains since 1996. The question was asked to the effect of "How much advertising and announcements must be done to get the word out?". I came accross the pre-registration site in 1998 but did not pre-register any domains for the simple fact that the site says there is no guarantee that you will get the domain. I am a hard working single father of 2, and I frankly cannot and do not spend money for services and products I can't be sure I'm going to get. I know that $35 doesn't sound like a whole lot, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who really can't afford to take $35 (or any amount of money for that matter) and spend it on something I can't be sure I'm even going to get. Somebody had mentioned that in the early days of the Internet, people who registered .coms never knew if .com was going to be added to the root. That may be true, but may I remind you that in those days, it didn't cost a cent to "pre-register" the .coms, so there was no risk involved, and nobody had to pay for something they weren't sure they were going to get. I can definitely sympathize with people who have pre-registered .web domains, but they knew the risks. I just don't support the system. I'm sure I'll be told that $35 is nothing, and maybe it's not a lot, but in my situation every dollar must be spent wisely. I'm sure that other people are in the same situation, and would tell you too that spending money on things you're not sure you're going to get just isn't an option.

* .eu

I fully support the proposal for the .eu TLD. As much of Europe unites and becomes more of a single entity, I think a TLD reflecting this unification is needed. While other proposed gTLDs are no doubt useful and deserving, I believe that this one more than any other serves a valuable use and should be amongst the first new TLDs released.

* Competition

I support an open, shared, and competitive system much like the one we have today for .com, .net, and .org addresses.

* Uniformity

While there will be several new gTLDs released, I believe that the registration systems for each of them should be identical or nearly identical to avoid confusion and to simplfy the registration process.

Thank you for your time. Good luck in Yokohama.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy